Download Media Create Donate Forums

2012/02/13

Wyvern WIP

Having fun with the low poly wyvern. With every new model I create, I learn just a little more about effective poly use and edge flow. I still feel like I'm stumbling around (and sometimes getting lucky). Example: here most of the limbs are six-sided (hex cross section), and I'm just figuring out that extruding two quads is an easy way to connect a new six-sided limb. I like the way the edges came out on the face in particular. I took care to use quads everywhere so that I can try some sculpting later.

Wyvern WIP thumbnail 1 Wyvern WIP thumbnail 2 Wyvern WIP thumbnail 3

Current poly count: 431 quads (862 tris). I'm guessing with the wings it'll end up in the 1500 tri area. I might create an optional non-manifold "trim" mesh for stuff like horns and teeth, all those close-up details that don't particularly matter for my game.

Next up is making the wings. It'll be an interesting challenge to make sure the wings fold, stretch, and flap correctly.

[--Update--]
Got the low-poly wings done. The "skin" part of the wings are single-face thick and have some tris, for better shading. The model is currently 1508 tris total.

Wyvern WIP thumbnail 4

I'm still not sure how the wing armature is going to work out. I might be experimenting with weight paints.